Building an 8088 Homebrew Computer part 3

Here is my project on Hackaday

Unfortunately, I do not have a modern camcorder (I have a Sony digital-8 camcorder, and a Canon mini-DV camcorder), and my cellphone doesn’t seem to be able to focus very well, so I ended up using my Sony camcorder on a tripod to record this latest video, which is supposed to be in 720p, but it looks more like 320.

Anyway, here is the latest update on my 8088 homebrew computer. I have added a VT82C42N PS/2 keyboard/mouse controller. Continue reading

How to fix “Failed building wheel for pocketsphinx” on Debian Linux

Initially, I was going to keep adding entries to the previous article, but I realized that it will quickly become too big. So, I decided to make a new article for each Linux problem.

Problem: Failed building wheel for pocketsphinx

Continue reading

Solutions to various Linux problems

I decided to start this article, which I intend to keep adding to over time, because I was unable to find a solution to my problem through searches. I hope this information helps people.

Problem: codepage cp437 not found
Solution: I encountered this error when I was trying to slim down my Debian Stretch installation. Through trial-and-error, I was trying to figure out what all is unnecessary in order to run a small headless/no GUI system. I had deleted directories in the fs/ directory, which corresponded to file system types I didn’t expect to encounter on that system. The important directory was “nls/”. This directory contains code pages with characters that the terminal needs in order to display certain text correctly. I personally don’t care how fancy or bad the fonts look on a console, especially if I plan to run it headless.

Continue reading

In the Spirit of the Homebrew Computer Club – Building a Homebrew 8088 Computer Part 2

Memdump in action

Click here for the GitHub repository.

I finally got around to posting the code for MemDump, a program I wrote for my 8088 computer (back in July, last year *eye roll*) to display the contents of memory. I have used it extensively so far to see if my interrupts and interrupt vector table (IVT) are installed correctly in low memory.

I restarted my homebrew 8088 computer from scratch, and replaced the original 2 KB of SRAM with 384 KB (I left room in the memory map to add 256 more KB for a final total of 640 KB). I also wrote a firmware program to initialize the interrupt vector table, added an interrupt controller, completely redesigned the control signal demultiplexing circuitry (which both improved the efficiency and decreased the complexity), and wrote a simple demo program to display a memory dump in hexadecimal.

Continue reading